T-shirts recycled as a functional bag
- Introducing “Tent of Protection” Fiction by Fiber Artist, Louise Silk (March 5, 2013)
- Quilt Artist Louise Silk Takes On Etsy (March 5, 2013)
- Another Occasion= Another Quilt (May 10, 2012)
- Groups Work Together To Make Quilts With Meaning and Memory (January 24, 2012)
- Memory Quilts Make A Meaningful Holiday (November 2, 2011)
- Selling Quilts On Ebay (July 23, 2011)
- Better Than Donating: Your Denim Recycled For You (January 19, 2011)
- Memory Quilts That Honor Our Elders (August 25, 2010)
- Memory Quilts: It's A Process (June 12, 2010)
- Wedding Quilts: The Gift That Keeps Giving (March 2, 2010)
- Quilt Transformation: Obsolete Draperies Upcycled Into Patchwork Products (February 21, 2010)
- Comfort Quilts: The Best Fix for Winter Blues (February 17, 2010)
- Memory Quilts: A Meaningful and Green Holiday Gift (November 9, 2009)
- Memories of Dad: Grieving Loss Through Quilts (August 12, 2009)
- Memory Purses: A Meaningful Birthday Gift (July 14, 2009)
- T-Shirts Recycled into Personal Brand Bags (July 13, 2009)
- T-Shirts Quilts: Documenting Your Accomplishments (June 9, 2009)
- Memory Quilts Help To Grieve Loss (April 22, 2009)
- Memory Quilts: A Meaningful and Green Graduation Gift (March 15, 2009)
YWCA End Racism Quilt
- Louise will have a one-person exhibition at the American Jewish Museum in the winter of 2015. She will be working on site gathering materials of memory from viewers. Come watch her work Mondays and Wednesdays from 12-3. Consider a tax-deductible contribution to help with the costs of the exhibit.
- Louise participated in the AAP Curated Group Exhibit at Most Wanted Fine Art at the Garfield Gallery Crawl, Opening September 5th and continuing through the month of September.
- Louise created the High Holiday ark and bimah covers for Shaare Torah Congregation.
- In partnership with her daughter, Sarah Silk, Louise has developed a line of 100% recycled products called SilkDenim.
- Louise has updated her SilkQuilt Etsy Store
- Louise created a series of quilts on the seasons for Manchester Commons in Erie, PA.
- Louise published her first piece of fiction entitled “Tent of Protection”: [paper] [eBook]
- Louise has started a new gallery of her work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/silkquilt/
Louise signing her book at Joseph-Beth Booksellers on the South Side in Pittsburgh, September 9, 2006.
- Louise is participating in the AAP gallery at the American Eagle Headquarters for the summer.
- Louise is working with Angel's Place staff to produce a community group quilt.
- Louise will be speaking at the Tompkins County Quilters Guild the last week of June.
- Louise is working with Tree of Life Or L'Simcha Congregation to make an Entrance Hall Group Memory Quilt.
- Louise will be speaking and conducting a workshop at the Kultur Festival 2012 at Florida Atlantic University.
- Louise is the artist in residence for Allegheny College and the Meadville Council on the Arts the first weekend in November.
- Louise completed a Donor Recognition Quilt for Rainbow Child Development Center in Worcester MA.
- Louise now has a blog called Bubbe Wisdom for the Pittsburgh Jewish Chronicle. Check back often for regular entries.
- Louise is very honored to have a quilt accepted in the most important contemporary exhibition of our times, Quilt National 2011 opening in May.
- Louise and Leslie Golomb will have five pieces included in the exhibition A Stitch in Jewish Time: Provocative Textiles at Hebrew Union College's Jewish Institute of Religion Museum in New York City. The exhibition will take place from September 7, 2010 through June 30, 2011. More info »
- Louise has a piece on the holiday of Rosh Hodesh - The New Moon - in the traveling exhibition America Celebrates! Quilts of Joy and Remembrance. More info »
- Louise helped the YWCA Greater Pittsburgh Teen Leadership Institute create a signature quilt to help in their mission of eliminating racism and empowering women.
- Louise has opened an Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SilkQuilt
- Louise did the construction for the piece “Betsy in the Forest” by artists Michele Browne and Leslie Golomb. It won second prize in Fiberart International 2010.
- Check out Louise's online photo gallery of her quilts. This is a convenient way to view the diversity of types of quilts that Louise has made.
- Louise will share her story about relating her personal life history to her quilt making in a lecture entitled “Making Quilts Today: A Personal View” at the Westmoreland Museum of American Art. The lecture will be on Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM and is free to the public. More info »
- Louise will be one of the participating artists in “Shades of Green” Exhibition at Sirani Gallery as part of the Associated Artists of Pittsburgh's 100th anniversary. The exhibition runs June 18 through July 12, 2010.
- Louise is a contributor for BRICKS for Young Adults Cancer Awareness & Resource Guide. You are invited to the release party on Saturday, March 20, 2010. View the details for the event on Facebook.
- Louise is one of the participating artists in “Sleight of Hand”, the production of a set of playing cards where she is the artist for the six of diamonds: http://fiberartinternational.org/sleight-of-hand
- Work created by Louise and her collaborator, Leslie Golomb, will be shown at the gallery at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, PA from January 29 through February 21, 2010 for the exhibit “Tzit Tzit: Fiber Art and Jewish Identity”. The opening reception is on January 28, 2010 from 6:00-8:30 PM and Louise will give a powerpoint talk on Monday, February 8 at 7:30 PM.
- Louise has edited and published her cousin Mickey's memoir. Want to read about an interesting life? Get a copy of “My Cousin Mickey” at lulu.com.
- Two quilts from the slave boy quilts series “Deez Nites Be All the Da Same To Me” are featured in the summer 2009 issue of Lilith Magazine.
- Join Louise on summer Saturdays from 12:00 to 4:00 beginning June 6th for “Open Air Marketplace at The Waterfront” sponsored by The Vitamin Shoppe 380 E. Waterfront Dr. Homestead, PA. There will be other artists, food vendors, and other health partners. Louise will have an assortment of quilts, t-shirt bags, books, and other items at great close-out prices.
- See Louise's piece “Generations” made of old hand and felted knitted remnants at “Collective Works by AAP” June 5 - June 14, 2009 - Three Rivers Arts Festival, 929 Liberty Avenue, Downtown Pittsburgh.
- Louise wrote “Cloth of Memory Transformed”, about how and where she finds the best market for her memory quilts. The article was published in the October 2008 edition of the Crafts Report's Insight section focusing on fiber. The Insight section allows artists to share their business insights with fellow craftspeople.
- In the Fall 2008, Louise developed a series of workshops for Allegheny College on recycling used t-shirts into functional products. This photo is reusable t-shirt bags.
- In November 2008, Louise presented some of her newest art quilts (Heart and Boundless) from her Raw Quilt series to the Gold Coast Quilters Guild, Boca Raton, Florida.
- As a proud new grandmother of a beautiful baby girl, Maya Elizabeth Silk, Louise has begun the Bubbe Blog, chronicling her experiences caring for Maya and watching her grow.
- “Entering the Garden: A Spiritual Tent” has found a home in The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection of Florida Atlantic University Library. Read more...
- Check out Louise's latest work, including her french knot embroideries and a commission in which she took a client's photo and made it into an art quilt.
- Louise will be having a show called Patch Works with her husband, Steve Root, at The Framery in Lawrenceville. The opening reception for the show will be Friday, June 6, 2008 from 6-8 PM, and the exhibition will continue through July 12, 2008. Read more...
- Louise will have a display of memory quilts on the 5th floor of Grace Library at Carlow University beginning the week of August 13, 2007.
- Louise has started a blog about living in Pittsburgh on Hotels by City. Check it out.
- Louise will be participating in the 2007 Jewish Book & Culture Fair and at the Milwaukee JCC the week of November 12, 2007 and will be mounting a display of her quilts in conjunction with the Fair and in celebration of contemporary Jewish arts and culture.
- Experience Louise's Spiritual Tent as part of Seasons | The Fabric Art of Tina Rieger, June 4–June 29th, 2007 at the American Jewish Museum at the JCC of Greater Pittsburgh. Join Tina's friends and family for a reception, Wednesday, June 6th at 7:00pm
- Louise will have a piece in the Sacred Threads 2007 Exhibition, held from June 16–30, 2007 in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. View the Sacred Threads exhibit website for more information.
- This Deez Nites Be All Da Same To Me exhibition is currently on display at the Lambert Castle Museum in Paterson, New Jersey. The dates of the display are February 10–June 17, 2007.
- A T-shirt quilt by Louise Silk was featured in a February 13, 2007 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article on stories of Pittsburghers and the t-shirts they find meaningful from their pasts. More info on T-shirt quilts can be found in Chapter 9 of The Quilting Path and on the Memory Quilts page.
- Louise recently completed a series of pieces for the Yeshiva Schools and Lubavitch Center of Pittsburgh, entitled the Yeshiva Life Cycle. You can view them online here.
- Louise invites your group to hear her newest slide lecture: The Kabbalah of Writing The Quilting Path, in which she applies the Kabbalistic Tree of Life to her experience of writing The Quilting Path. To find out more information, visit the SilkQuilt lectures page or contact Louise directly.
- Louise will be discussing and signing her book, The Quilting Path, at the Barnes and Noble in Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh, PA, on Monday, October 9th at 7 P.M.
- Louise will be introducing and teaching Quilting Path workshops at the Boyd Community Center beginning September 13, 2006 and at the Society for Contemporary Craft beginning October 25, 2006.
- Louise will be discussing and signing her book, The Quilting Path, at Joseph-Beth Booksellers on the South Side in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on September 9, 2006 at 2 P.M.